For Real?

Recently my family and I have been looking into a rehab clinic in San Diego, California called Project Walk.  It is a spinal cord injury center which completely focuses on healing and physical recovery.  They stand by the belief that recovery can happen at any time and through intense physical rehab nerve connections can be reestablished.  They believe in using as little medication as possible and are completely against using drugs to eradicate spasms and nerve pain.  Much like my family and I believe, Project Walk states that spasms and nerve pain is part of the natural healing process of the body, and to mask these symptoms could be detrimental.

It seemed like everyone in my family felt like this was a place I needed to be at least for a short time, so I have begun to take the appropriate measures.  The center asks for results of a bone density scan along with the application so about a week ago I walked into the Charlotte Radiology and Breast Center to scan my bones.  I had no worries about the results and figured my bones would be just fine.  I get in my standing frame just about every day which is said to keep your bones healthy because of the weight bearing.  Plus I figured my spasms and use of the FES bike provided the proper muscle tone to ensure bone health.  Because of these reasons I was quite shocked when my mom told me she got the results of the scan with a distraught look on her face.  The scan of my right femur resulted in the diagnosis of osteoporosis leaving me at a severe high risk for bone fracture.  The scan of my lumbar region was not as bad but was very close.  On a standard scan, these are the only two areas which are surveyed.

When I first heard the news I didn’t believe it one bit.  The only logical conclusion was that the results were wrong.  Something happened during the scan or they gave me someone else’s results.  It just wasn’t possible that my bones had become that unhealthy in the past year and a half.  I had done everything I thought I was supposed to do to keep my bones healthy and now a sheet of paper was telling me that I either didn’t do enough or that there is nothing I can do.

I was very angry for the rest of the night but by the next morning a feeling of acceptance was reached.  At the present time I feel like the results are probably the correct ones.  I would still like to get another scan done and have checked both the right and left femur.  Just because I have certain areas of low bone density does not mean all areas are the same.  I have more tone in different areas of the body which may keep my bone density higher in those areas.  It’s still hard to understand however, because I thought weight bearing was the essential ingredient to keeping bones healthy.  Looks like I may have to start standing twice a day.  I am also planning on taking a more effective calcium supplement and possibly getting on the FES bike more often.

I was planning on thoroughly impressing Project Walk with my excellent health and ability to maintain my body over the past months.  They have different phases of their program with the first phase being getting your bones and joints strong again as well as increasing muscle tone.  I thought phase one was rather obsolete for me but it turns out that may be untrue.  I didn’t think I needed Project Walk’s help to improve this aspect of my injury, but it turns out I may not be as good an example as I thought I was.  Oh well, as usual all I can do is move forward.

8 Responses to For Real?

Colin,
    I remember reading about Project Walk on their website.  What a great program!  The success stories brought tears to my eyes.  I agree…progress can be made at any time.
    Vegas is only about 4 hours from San Diego if you need some moral support while you are there!  San Diego is a beautiful place as well.  When do you think you might go?
    Take care and have a great weekend!

Colin – What did your doctors say from your current rehab about your results? They may have some ideas or ways to increase- I wonder why they don\’t reccomend to have you tested on a regular basis? Do they? I don\’t know.
    I look at Project Walk some time ago when you first mentioned it. I think it would be fabulous for you for many reasons – though since there isn\’t an MD on staff I would maybe suggest (though it is just a thought) to try to acquire one in the area of San Diego as well for regular check-ups. It would not  difficult to have access to MD as your currrent rehab now could write a referral. I also think that the staff at Project Walk  sound completely motivated and inspirational – as well as the clients. Also, who wouldn\’t love San Diego!!! You\’d have a sense of autonomy which I think you have been searching as well as  continuing your hard work. You have been working hard.
    I felt your surprise with you -though I know little about bone density – and I wish to offer comfort but at the same time I don\’t think you need comfort…I think you are going to kick some butt! I think you are going to rise above all this and as you said continue moving forward. Remember you shine. Dream big my friend always, patti

It makes me sad to think that you feel that same way sometimes – disconnected. I guess since some agree with feeling that way though, that in effect, we are not really  disconnected if we can relate to eachother. I guess there is a human connectedness in those moments as well as in happy ones. I hope that brings you comfort. Not in the misery loves company kind of way ( I dislike that saying and that isn\’t what I mean) – I do not see the disconnected feeling as the same as misery; possibly I am learning that it is something that people just go through – a part of being human and being open to emotions.  I don\’t like the feeling but I\’m glad I wrote about it because others have agreed and I guess that makes it seem more "normal" really. – best to you – I hope you had a great weekend! I\’m so glad that you got those tests done – isn\’t it weird when one thing makes us do another thing and it works out as being hellpful? It makes me believe in destiny – the sychronicity of things…if you hadn\’t been interested in San diego you may not have caught your test results this early. That is a blessing. Best to you. How are all your sports coming along? I bet the weather there is great. -love, patti

Holy Cow it is MAY!!!! Happy MAY!!!

5. rennie582 says:

Bless your heart , I will pray for you and continue to read your posts , keep posting !!
    Irene

6. Tricia says:

Your a super smart guy so you might already know this – but some research in the Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics may indicate that caffeine might block calcium in the body (although at this point it just seems to be a postive correlation). The site is http://jpet.aspetjournals.org. It seems in animal studies using bovine that caffeine did have adverse effects even in small doses in the maintaining of bones. Best of luck and wishes….

7. WonderWoman122 says:

Congrats and thank you for sharing. You are a great inspiration.

Remember, Through God, ALL things are possible!

8. Thor and Suzette Gentry says:

Thank you for sharing your story.  I usually don\’t read blogs infact yours is only the second one I have ever read, it was featured on my MNS homepage so I clicked on your space….and Thank You, I enjoyed reading the whole page. Have a wonderful Day!!

Suzete