Crunch Time

I didn’t expect it to happen this soon, but crunch time is upon me. My travels have now led me to the point where a decision must be made. This is not like the other decisions I’ve had to make, where the grand scheme of things was not much affected. This is the decision which will decide where my recovery will ultimately take place and hopefully confirm within myself that I have found my path to recovery.

Since being in Atlanta I have participated in an intensive exercise program and also have been exposed to a type of spinal cord recovery which I have yet to be exposed to. Ever since going to Project Walk for the first time in June of 2006, I had it set in my mind that pushing the body to its limits with exercise was the means to awakening the nervous system and getting back on my feet. Coming into the Center IMT program and embracing what they do has not been easy. Intensive exercise was discarded for the time being and instead I simply laid down on a mat and had the IMT specialists work their magic on me with their skilled hands. Slowly the infectious positive attitude crept through my system and I realized that for the first time someone was telling me that they could not only get me up and walking again but maintain full restoration of my physical body.

The inside-out approach was completely foreign to me but with each visit to Center IMT, the approach made more and more sense. I’ve always wondered how I was supposed to get better when each day I felt like a sick individual. I thought the only reason I was sick was because I was paralyzed, and I never realized that my feeling sick was holding back my recovery. I believe Center IMT can revitalize a damaged system which is my body, and set the stage for a recovery which will blow every statistic out of the water.

My plan was to visit Austin for a month after my Atlanta trip, participating in a SCI recovery program while getting energy healing. Even though I had yet to visit Austin long-term, the prospect of living in Austin was leading the race. My thought process was not only could I exercise there, but I could also get a totally different aspect of recovery through spiritual energy healing. No where else could I get the double approach. However, Atlanta soon conveyed its own double approach being intensive exercise at Beyond Therapy along with the holistic inside-out approach of Center IMT. Now that both cities had a double approach I had to consider what was more important. I knew that the spiritual energy healing was important but was it necessary to live in Austin for to be effective? Ultimately the answer is no. Austin is only a two-day drive from Atlanta, and a trip to the state of Texas every couple of months should suffice to get zapped with enough healing energy to last me for a little while.

This decision has been very difficult as it has deviated from my plan. But I realize that being Atlanta will provide me with a 360° range of spinal cord recovery techniques. More importantly than any logic I can come up with, in my gut I know that it is the best option for me. For the first time in a long while, I am seeing things happen to my body. Motor movements in my legs are changing, and recently I’ve been able to initiate movements in my left leg different that any movement I have seen in the past two years. My urinary infections are fading, my breathing is stronger, and my voice resonates. I’m seeing improvements at the present moment and a vision persists in my mind, a vision of walking. I was really looking forward to spending time in Austin and I love the atmosphere of the city, but I seem to know what I have to do. There is no more time to waste. It is time for my recovery to begin.

7 Responses to Crunch Time

yahoo! So proud of you! You rock! Sending positive energy and all my best, dream big, keep visualizing, and go for it! The CenterIMT seems so interesting and love reading your updates about it. Patti

Wow Colin!  This is wonderful news!!  I have been reading your blog since you first started it and I have been so impressed with your mindset and attitude.  You truly amaze me.  I feel confident that you will one day achieve all of the goals that you have set forth for yourself and I sincerely wish you the best of luck on your journey.  I happen to live in Atlanta, so welcome to our wonderful city!  May you find all that you are seeking and more on your powerful journey here.  Take good care and please keep us posted!

3. TexasGirlJen says:

WOW! It will be great to have you in Texas when you\’re here. Consider me one of the many cheering you on. Go for it.

j

That is just awsome! Personally I think that your recovery started right after your accident. I know that you had up-s and downs, but that\’s just part of the journey!
    I will be praying for you, and reading along.
    Cant wait for the day to see the pictures of you walking!
    Anita

5. Beth says:

Wow Colin! You are doing a great job! I will be praying for you to walk again. It will happen if you just keep on beleiving in Christ. Even though sometimes it will feel like he\’s not there he is no matter what. So don\’t give up hope!

6. Peggy says:

Hello Colin,

I think you doing great, I realy proud of you, I am not paralyied, but I had cancer Stage 4b, that pretty for up thur I do have nerve damage and brain damage, from the chemo treatments. I chemo nurse told me that nevre damge has good and bad days. But it would get better in time. Sometime healing takes years. You have done what I whated to do for cancer serviors. I hope what I said about the good days and the bad days helped. I a middle age woman, but the mucles in my leggs don\’t work, very good and I am always falling. People think I drink or on drugs HAHA,

Any GOD BLESS YOU AND REMEMBER HE HAS A PLAN

Bye Peggy

7. Frank says:

I have just read your blog and am very impressed by your mind and your reasoning ability. I understand perfectly your desire to become physically normal again. You remind me of course of Christopher Reeve who was just as determined and worked as hard as you. Yet as we know, our beloved Superman did not succeed. I do not want to say anything to discourage you  in your efforts to improve your physical health. You should continue to do all that.  Yet I would like to remind you of something you said early in your blog. Change what you can! Accept what you can\’t. Forgive me, but to me the body is far less important than the mind and the soul.  If I had to choose between my computer and the informative programs on television and losing my arms and legs I would take the physical loss. One simple example of why I would make this choice is because of my meeting with you and all that I can learn from this experience. Now being paralyzed as bad as Christopher and as perhaps you are, I would never choose. However, informative television and the computer lets you set beside God and see what God sees and grieve with Him for all that men say about Him in their books and their words. Most of all for all the killing and maiming they do in the name of their religions, none of which or his. The most important thing ever said is attributed to Socrates, " I Know Not, But I Know that I Know Not. Wars and many other sadnesses of life are caused by what men think they know. The most dangerous men in the world are preachers of any religion. You can only know what you yourself observe to be true. But be careful how you interpret what you observe. In closing let me tell you just a little about myself. I am a 73 year Marine Corp Veteran of the Korean War. I was on the frontline when the war ended. Before the war ended I had quit carrying my rifle with me even in front of the line. I had a target painted on my back. Why?!  Because I was a foolish nineteen year old kid who was disgusted because I could not get in the action inspite of being right there. I could not be touched while others died who went to the same places I did.  One of  my former usernames for email was robinzorro because of the programming I got from those movies while I was still in grammar school. Another was zenluke. zen because someone told me I think like a zen budeist.  luke is  for the  fight  scene  in the movie Coolhand  Luke because  no matter how many times  Luke got knocked  down,  he kept getting  back up. Once I was  a homeless shelter manager and encouraged  my people to watch that movie and any of the Rocky  movies.  I encourage you  to do the same. What every happens with your body, your future lies with your mind and your soul. I have a website at frankhutchens.info.  You can see a picture of me and my Dingo on the contact page and link to the Buddist tale of the Ten Bulls.